Venice! One of the most charming and seducing cities in Italy… and in the whole world. Both in summer, when the sun shines on its waters creating glittering reflections, and in winter, when the atmosphere gets gloomy yet beguiling, Venice attracts multitudes of tourists. But still, it can be rather expensive to sleep, eat and enjoy your time in this romantic city. I am here to suggest 5 low-cost things to do in Venice, that will really make you have a wonderful time there!
- Go on a Bacaro Tour. Stay tuned for a future post entirely dedicated to this food-and-wine low-cost activity…I will suggest you the names of several excellent bacari (local Venitian wine-bars) serving Italian wines and typical “cicchetti” (finger-food based on local specialties) for a couple of euros!
- You think a gondola ride is too expensive, but still, you would like to experience the emotion of getting onboard, right? There are three locations in Venice where, with 2 euros, you can cross the Canal Grande on a real gondola! Look for these three “stazi” (stops) located along the Canal Grande: S.Sofia, S.Tomà, S.Maria del Giglio. There you will find the so-called “gondoloni”, big gondolas that can transport up to 14 people across the two canal banks, with real “gondolieri” waiting for you. The river cruise lasts a couple of minutes, but you will feel like a real VIP 🙂
- Finding an accommodation in Venice city center can be rather difficult…If you do not need any extraordinay luxury room, but at the same time you would like to lose yourself in a typical Venetian atmosphere, I suggest you the Hotel Alla Salute da Cici, personally tested during a romantic weekend in Venice some years ago. The location is excellent, just 10 minutes from Piazza San Marco, in the very hear of Sestiere Dorsoduro. Rooms are furnished in a Venetian classic style (brocades, antique furniture, classic decorations). Rates are very interesting: I suggest you to have a look on their website during low- season, since you can take advantage of several great offers!
- Up to a night, romantic low-cost excursion? Take the famous Vaporetto! With 7 euro (single fare), and by jumping on a vaporetto of lines 1 and 2 at night, you will enjoy a breathtaking view of most important Venice attractions, glittering on dark waters…sitting comfortably you will see Rialto Bridge, San Marco, the Accademia Bridge, the Salute Church…and many more!
- If you are tired of walking through Venice quaint streets and you need a short but delicious break…I have the right suggestion for you! Check the reviews about Frito-Inn, the place-to-eat in Venice if you like local street-food. Try the tuna balls, the mozzarella in carrozza (divine!) and the classical fried squids….not suggested if you are on a diet 🙂